About

This is a brain blog about the ins and outs of interaction in my world. Some good, some bad, but all things I find relevant.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Dear Book Lovers and why REAL books are better than digital books,

Dear Book Lovers,

I love books.  Do you love books?  I love books.

I've had a lot of time for reading lately...  Which is good, because I love reading.

There is something sensual and comforting about the feel of the paper between your fingers.  The way you hold the next page ready to turn in anticipation of what is coming next.  Or the feel of the book sitting in your lap while you hold your coffee.  And if you spill your coffee, you just wipe it off and now you have a memory of what happened while you were reading that page in your book.  Maybe the dog jumped in your lap, or your Son marched through the room wearing his underwear on his head.

I'm not a big fan of digital books.  I have one with a fancy cover and a little light I can pull out to illuminate the page.  But still, it's a little thing.  It's not a book.  My hubby bought it for me, thinking I would like it.  It's okay.  I still read with it, but I still prefer books.  I have a whole list of reasons why REAL books are better than digital books.

1.  Bookmarks:  You can use bookmarks.  Bookmarks are great.  There are a million bookmarks out there.  I like handmade bookmarks, like this one from UUendysCraftyCorner on +Etsy
https://www.etsy.com/listing/166125038/bookmark-angeljoy?ref=shop_home_active_12 


2.  Instant gratification:  When you wake up the next morning after loosing yourself in your book you can look immediately at the bookmark to see how much progress you made.  I like that visual reminder. 

3.  You can throw it:  I know what your thinking, you can throw a Kindle or a Nook as well.  But do you really want to throw your Kindle or Nook.  I mean, come on, those things are expensive!  They can break in any number of ways.  With a book, you might dent a corner or put a hole in your wall, but after you have expressed the emotion compelling you to throw the book, you can go pick it up again and continue reading it.  You might not have that much luck with your digital book.

4.  You can take your frustrations out on the book:  You ever get to a point in a book where you are so emotionally baffled that you don't know what to do?  Yeah, me too.  You can throw a book, tear it up, burn it, or, like Joey from Friends, you can put it in the freezer for a while.  Now, we've already discussed throwing a book.  Let's talk about the actual destruction of a book.  It's not always the best idea, and you should probably wait until you are done reading the book.  You never want to get into a situation where you destroy the book only to have the desire later to finish reading it.  Then, you have to buy another copy, only to most likely feel the same way in the end, and now you are out the cost of two books!  For this, and this reason only, a Digital book might be better.  I don't know about you, but digital devises just don't burn or tear as well as a book...  Just saying.  And what about the freezer?  Do you really want to short out your Kindle or Nook?

5.  You can sell a bad book after you are done:  After you buy and read your book, if you don't feel like keeping it, you can take it back to the bookstore and sell it to regain some of your money.  You can't sell back digital downloads, and it is against the law to sell them to other people.  What's up with that?!

6.  Books make pretty shelf decorations:  If you find yourself short on knick-knacks or brick-a-brack, you can fill those shelves with books!  The classics are great for this, or you can find color coordinated collections on-line, like this collection redladybugz on Etsy.






Whatever you want to say about books, I think they rock!  I love getting lost in a world created by someone else.  Books seem so plain in black and white with their only decorations usually coming from the cover, but once you dive in the colors places, sights and smells can seem as real as the chair you are sitting in.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/162424423/keep-calm-and-read-canvas-book-tote-bag?ref=sr_gallery_17&ga_search_query=keep+calm+and+read+a+book&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery  

Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Summer!

    I love reading and turning the pages is the best feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you both I love the feel of holding my books and turning the real page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh Summer we are twins, I love reading and have done it all my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have so many books, my house is overflowing! One whole wall is nothing but bookshelves and they are full! That's 15' wide by 10.5' high! And then there the boxes of books! I love the real thing, but I also enjoy reading on my iPad. Especially when traveling.

    ReplyDelete